Monday, February 12, 2007

Balancing Monster from the Past


My solo show has been drawing some odd birds out of the woodwork. I received some mysterious email containing a mail art comic strip I did when I was 12 or 13 (of which I have no copy) with my face photoshopped onto one of the characters and no further information. The weirdest thing is that it was this comic I would mail out at random with a sparkler enclosed, and the picture of me is from the opening of the solo show, when FIREWORKS played. In its listing, the LA WEEKLY misunderstood and said we'd be setting off actual fireworks, so we were actually trying to acquire sparklers for the band throughout the day just in case anyone was coming specifically for the pyrotechnics. Anyway, after several exchanges and some reverse engineering of anagrams I finally figured out my stalker's ID. THERE IS NO WAY THIS INDIVIDUAL COULD POSSIBLY HAVE KNOWN OF THIS SPARKLER CONNECTION! Mere coincidence? The comic is too embarassingly derivative to share, but here's an awesome mystery image that was included in the most recent communique.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Digitally Mediated (Dis)embodiment

Information, Communication and Society June 2003, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 247-266(20)

de Mul J.[1]

[1] Erasmus University, Rotterdam

Abstract:

This article aims to demonstrate that the philosophical anthropology of the German philosopher Helmuth Plessner (1892-1985) enables us to gain a better understanding of the experiential presuppositions and implications of information and communication technologies, such as telepresence and virtual reality, than we can obtain through interpretations that start from a dualistic, Cartesian ontology. With the help of Plessner's concept of "excentric positionality', developed in Stages of the Organic and Man (1928), Hans Moravec's Utopian claims about the possibility of disembodied existence in cyberspace are criticized and an alternative, more adequate interpretation is presented. It is argued that the corporal "poly-excentric positionality' that is inherent in the human experience of telepresence and virtual reality, radicalizes the existential " homelessness' which characterizes human life.

Porter Hall said...

Who did the mystery stalker turn out to be?

Porter Hall said...

Who did the mystery stalker turn out to be?

DougH said...

It was a bitter old Aryan Sufi playing headgames with me, dude. I banished him with a circle of fire. Then I googled "comfortable hole byebye" and got a book from the library on neurodiversity by a manic depressive lady. Life must go on.