Monday, December 30, 2013

Abstract Joe's Temper #1


Now that it's back from that show in Walnut I guess I won't spoil any surprises by posting the widescreen version of Abstract Joe's Temper #1, acrylic & silver enamel on paper, about what? 5 X 14 ft? Something like that. Painted this last summer. Joe's Temper is a comic-strip advertisement for toilet paper from a late 1930s True Confessions magazine, which I've used as source material for a wide range of activities (painting, audio art, performance, curation, publishing, etc.) over the last 3 decades. These round clusters of marks consist of individual lines traced from the JT strip. Check out the original after the jump, and the big JT painting I did in Vegas in the Spring. I've regularly chopped Joe, his Wife, and The Doctor into pieces pretty much from the get-go, but this is the first time I've totally pulverized them!







No comments: